Wednesday, February 10, 2010

You win some, you lose some (squash soup)

Last night, I tried "Creamy Butternut Squash Soup," and it was pretty bad. I don't think it's the recipe's fault, rather the cook's. I had been at my parents' house and was going through their "Best of the Best" cookbook, and jotted down a few recipes, and this was one of them. The problem is, I didn't do that great of a job of writing down the steps to cooking the recipe, just the ingredients. Herein lies the issue with the nasty squash soup. So, maybe I'm being overly critical..it was edible. I mean, you put chives and sour cream in anything, and it becomes edible....but I just knew it wasn't at its potential:)
Here goes----



CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
2 lbs. squash (peeled and cubed)
2 tbsp of butter
1 1/4 c sour cream
4 cups chicken broth
chives
cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
mushrooms, optional

Weellllll....so I did all of this...and put it all in the pot at the same time....and I think that was my mistake. I looked up recipes online and I think you're supposed to put the squash in first and get it soft, then remove and cream it..the add everything else, but the mushrooms, sour cream and chives. Then have it simmering while cooking the mushrooms in a skillet. Then, the sour cream and chives go on top. Well, I put the sour cream in to boil...ew..it separated. AND, I put the mushrooms in at the same time as the rest, so all of the mushroom and squash liquids made an awesome flavor (not really). Anyway, now that I've criticized it, it did have an okay flavor, and I did eat a whole bowl, but tonight I couldn't bring myself to leftovers.
Oh well!
Don't be discouraged from trying....just look up a better set of instructions on the internet. I'll include Paula Deen's...her's looked better, but a few more ingredients.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/creamy-squash-soup-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counters