Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Leeks Au Gratin

Okay, I LOVE food. I really do. I try so hard to be good and not eat all of the time, but it's tough. I grew up eating any and everything. Before the age of about 12, I didn't like tomatoes, but that's the only food I've ever not enjoyed for any time in life (i love them, now). Put me on an episode of Bizarre Foods, and maybe I won't make it when we get to the lambs blood (g-ross), but for the most part, I LOVE FOOD. And, I give myself this: when I was about 4 I grabbed a tomato, took a big bite thinking it was an apple, and the shock of the gooey stuff just freaked me out, so I was scarred. Had I known I was biting into a tomato, I want to say I'd have never had food discrimination, ever.

So, I decided to keep this blog of different foods I eat, and different recipes I try. It's not really like a Julie and Julia thing (although i LOVE that movie), but I will probably jump around with different recipes and different topics. For the most part I just wanted to keep a blog of my food intake. I wish it were to monitor it to lose weight, but no, that's not it. I just enjoy writing about things I enjoy. Food, while not the top top of the list, is one of them, and to me it will be fun to track. We don't have kids, yet, and so many of our nights just consist of deciding on what to have for dinner before hibernating on the couch (especially in the winter). Just so you know, though, I do try to be healthy. I think if you truly love food, you respect it's power (that of the consequences of over-eating), so you learn how to balance it so that it's a great mix of splurging and healthy. Done with some thought, you can still enjoy every meal...the healthy ones, and the splurging ones!

Last night, Matt and I made Leeks Au Gratin. I also made spaghetti, but I was most excited about the leeks. I had never had leeks (consciously) before, so cooking them was interesting. Since I was new to the leek, I went with a super simple recipe:

        LEEKS AU GRATIN - from Best of the Best (circa 1999)
        6-8 Leeks
        1 cup heavy cream
        Salt and pepper
   Take off the leafy green leaves (dark green), then slice it right down the middle and slice off the end (with the hairy looking stuff). Then wash thoroughly (there will be dirt/grit in there). Then, place them in a casserole dish flat side down and cover with heavy cream, then salt and pepper.
        Bake at 375 for 35 minutes
Yes, I should have taken pictures, but I didn't, so I'm going to steal one from the internet if I can find the recipe I made.  So, I did steal a picture, and mine didn't really look like that, but close. WARNING: DO NOT EAT RAW!!! It will stick with you for eternity. Cooked, they have an AWESOME flavor, but raw, you're asking for an onion overload.


The other food I made that night (which we ate for 3 days) was spaghetti with olives and capers..It was SO yummy, but maybe a few less olives (I had almost doubled the olives because I love salt, but I should have stuck with the recipe).

SPANISH SPAGHETTI WITH OLIVES




Ingredients


  • 1  tablespoon  olive oil
  • 2  cups  chopped onion
  • 2  teaspoons  minced garlic
  • 1  teaspoon  dried oregano
  • 1/2  teaspoon  celery salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  crushed red pepper
  • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4  teaspoon  crushed saffron threads (optional)
  • 8  ounces  extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 2/3  cups  marinara sauce
  • 1/2  cup  sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
  • 1/4  cup  dry sherry
  • 1  tablespoon  capers
  • 1/4  cup  chopped fresh parsley, divided

  • Preparation



  • 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
    2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in oregano, celery salt, red pepper, black pepper, and saffron, if desired. Crumble beef into pan; cook 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in marinara sauce, olives, sherry, capers, and 3 tablespoons parsley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
    3. Add spaghetti to sauce mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.

I just copied this from the Cooking Light site. I changed it up some, though. I didn't do the saffron stuff, parsley, or the celery salt. I also replaced oregano with Penzey's italian herbs.
Anyway, this was pretty good spaghetti...I might add some mushrooms next time just because I love them!

Anyway, this was fun. Until next time, I hope your next meal is your best meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counters