Monday, February 8, 2010

Bruschetta (sorta)

Well, tonight I was in the mood for some sort of bruschetta something. Matt already had dinner (leftovers from a super bowl get together last night), so I went and bought some French bread, a tomato and onion, and mozzarella cheese (they didn't have fresh, just the block kind). We had to go to our local smaller grocery store because today was a snow day, and we really didn't want to drive more than we had to...so this is where the 'sorta' came in.
Here are the ingredients:
about 1/3 of the mozzarella block, sliced
slice about 1/2 inch thick French bread pieces (i did about 15)
1 tomato, diced
1 onion, thinly sliced and chopped
balsamic vinegar (small amount)
olive oil
Kosher salt
pepper
garlic powder
pepperocini (sliced)---optional


I mixed the onion, tomato, peppericini's, vinegar and olive oil in a bowl. I put my bread slices on a pan and brushed with olive oil. I put 1 slice of cheese on each bread, then covered them in the tomato mix. Then I sprinkled a little Kosher salt and pepper on top. From there I put them in the onion on the bottom rack (broil--high broiler), and let the onions start to crackle, then I turned the oven off, but moved them to the top rack to finish cooking through the tomatoes and cheese. It only took 5 minutes or so to cook.
If you want it crispier, leave the broiler on longer. Once they were out,


I put a small amount of garlic powder on them. I thought they were very good! Nothing like bruschetta with fresh mozzarella, but it filled the craving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counters